January 24, 2017
I don’t diet. Like ever. Ok, well maybe for a day or two here and there. And, once I think I actually lasted a couple of months. But no, never with any real seriousness. I hate exercise. I hate diets. But the Doc says I have to lose 25 pounds. Here’s the thing, my cholesterol is too high and I am looking at pre-diabetes. Not good. Not good at all.
If we back track, we can find the source of all my excuses not to diet or exercise.
Let’s see, I was born with dislocated hips. I had arthritis by age 16. I have had several hip surgeries. Surgery at 11 years of age left my left leg over two inches shorter than my right leg! And at the tender age of 40, my hips had deteriorated to the point of needing replacement.
In the weeks before the replacement I was rockin’ the exercise! This was a rare, and short lived time of focus on my health. I wanted to ensure a successful outcome, so I walked daily (no dieting) and lost approximately 40 pounds. You need to understand though, when I say I walked daily, what I mean is, I walked around (after working my way up to it) 2, 3 or 4 (city/small village) blocks at most per day. But did I mention that I hate exercise? And, after surgery, it hurt! Like, I cried during therapy. Not like sobbing or anything but leg lifts, tears rolling, kind of crying. Needless to say the exercise quickly faded back out of my comfortable sedentary lifestyle.
Then there is the kid situation. I adore kids. But I had a lot of them. Well six of them. Babies number five and six were twins. Healthy and large, (exceptionally large) twins, weighing in at seven pounds, seven ounces and eight pounds, ten ounces for a grand total of sixteen pounds one ounce of baby, that I carried! I deserve chocolate! I tipped the scales at a whopping 192 with them. Oh, you should also know that I am five feet three inches tall. After the twins, we took in foster children. Twenty eight of them. Then adopted three of them. I’m to busy to diet and exercise! (Hear me whine…)
And, as you know, I’m a writer. I write. Which means I sit and write. A lot. Like who can exercise if they are sitting all day?
So, here I am. I gotta do this. For real this time. No slacking. Deep breathing… Okay, here are the rules, in no particular order.
- No before pictures. (there are enough of those on this site)
- I’m going to ease into this thing. Let’s not get too crazy!
- I really need you to pray for me! Here is my diet scripture (yes, I had one on hold, just in case…)
Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits.Who satisfies your mouth with good things,So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:2, 5
- I may tell you the “before” weight, someday…, when I have a great “after” picture, or not, we’ll see.
- No sugar. By no sugar, I mean no cake, candy, pie…
I love pie!
Right. Anyway, I do not mean no apples, potatoes, and pasta, which have sugar in them. Got it? Okay.
6. More water. Okay, water. I generally drink unsweetened tea, all day, nothing else. So let’s add water.
7. No seconds. Which by default means no thirds or, well, you get the idea.
8. I will put exercise options, including walking and dancing to fifties music, on the table. I’ll get back to you on that one.
9. Finally, I am not now, nor am I ever, giving up popcorn! It is my all time favorite food. I may cut back…, maybe.
Taco salad for dinner tonight. Hey, lettuce, right?!
Until next time. He Reigns in my diet!